Derek Floyd, M.A.
President and Chief Scribe
Like most of us in the nonprofit sector, I started working with nonprofit sector because I wanted to make a difference. I soon found a passion for grant writing and fundraising. But I also discovered just how complex and multifaceted grant funding can be. Too many organizations struggle to balance the demands of grant writing and fundraising with the critical work of creating lasting community impact.
Drawing on my background nonprofit fundraising and management – as well as my long-time work in the arts – I created Writing for Good to help more small and mid-sized organizations secure critical grant funding.
If you’re a nonprofit leader looking to…
Advance your organization’s mission
Secure more grant funds
Research, identify, and qualify new funding prospects
Build systems to manage the grant process
Leverage grants in your annual fundraising plan
…then I’m here to help you.
From professional musician to professional fundraiser
My nonprofit career started with an oboe. I fell in love with music at an early age and went on to earn my Bachelor of Music degree from The Juilliard School. For a decade, I served on the administration at Juilliard while performing in the orchestras of Broadway shows at night.
When I retired from classical performing, I launched the next stage of my nonprofit career. Working with arts and social service nonprofits, I soon found my niche as a grant writer and strategist. I earned my Master of Artis in Nonprofit Leadership and Management at the University of San Diego and, in 2014, founded Writing for Good.
A well-crafted grant captures the voice and values of each organization, while also speaking to a donor’s unique interests. It’s a balancing act that, if done well, inspires donors to take action while allowing organizations to stay true to their mission.
Too often, organizations twist themselves into knots trying to meet every funder request. But by grounding fundraising strategy and materials in an organization’s mission, values, and voice, we can do better. We can create sustainable organizations and sustainable impact.
Of course, finding your voice – much less using it – isn’t as easy as it sounds. In my own life, it took me a long time to find my voice and my place. Today, as a grant writer and strategist, I’m privileged to be able to use words to make a difference for incredible causes.
My goal is to use my voice – and my pen – for good.
- Raised over $15 million for a range of nonprofits since founding.
- Deliver an average of nearly 2000% Return on Investment for clients.
- Secured major strategic grants for multi-million-dollar capital campaigns.
- Co-founder of the Grant Professionals Association (GPA) San Diego County Chapter.
- Member of the North County Philanthropy Council, and have served as guest speaker and mentor in the Mentor/Mentee Program.
- Member of the San Diego Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), and have recently served on the Resource Development Committee.
- M.A. Nonprofit Leadership – University of San Diego
- B.M. Oboe Performance – The Juilliard School
- Certificate in Nonprofit Management – Chapman University
- Webmaster Certification – San Diego Center for Education & Technology
Advancing Your Mission Through Grants and More